Monday, June 15, 2009

Greetings friends.
Thanks for reading our blog as we record what will certainly be a mighty adventure for Rob and myself as we tackle the 2009 GORE TEX TransRockies Run in just two months. Reading this blog should provide you with some serious entertainment as we train for and tackle this epic event. Thanks for being with us.
Ok, I promise to give you the pure honest truth in anything I type in this blog. Last week was a real test for me: I went against every rule in the Running 101 textbook by quadrupling my weekly mileage. Don't try that at home. Really. I mean it. A year without racing has left me a little behind and a race like TransRockies will not allow for me to arrive with any weakness. My partner seems a little farther ahead with his fitness which is not a problem except for the fact that this is a TEAM race and we have to run together. I have some work ahead of me- that is for sure. But so far, so good.
Last week I felt like each step I was asking my body to remember that there was a good runner somewhere in there, and I was going to pull it out no matter what. Sometimes little glimmers would come through, even just for a second, and that's what gives me hope.
In this year off I have wondered what it would take to make me feel hungry about training and racing again. It was something about a six day, 113 mile, high elevation, team race that did it. I don't know how or why. But I'm glad to be here, with Rob, taking this monster on. I can't guarantee that we'll win you know? But it will be a hell of a fight, that I promise.
More from me soon! Again, thanks for reading.
Mike Smith
Co Pilot, Team Run Flagstaff

No comments: